Monday, March 23, 2009

The Hospital Scene...and I'm the darn Patient! (read the previous blog)

Sunday night I'm using the new chef's knife Jeff brought home from one of his clients. This knife is gorgeous and I am happily chopping away an onion for some Mexican Casserole. I'm thinking, wow, this knife is sharp I need to be really careful. I start yapping away with Jeff, when I suddenly announce...
"Jeff, I just chopped off a chunk of my finger"

I couldn't look at the chopping board. I couldn't imagine what was sitting there with my onions. My knight in shining armor jumps up grabs a towel and throws it over my hand, "apply pressure" are my orders. I feel a thick coat of sweat cover me and I think I want to pass out. I can push out kids with no drugs, no problem...but a paper cut or something like this, forget it, my stomach flips.

Jeff scrambles to get me some ice water, three children, and my left overs on the cutting board before he meets me in the car.
I call a few prayer warriors on my drive to the ER. I also call my amazing friend Hannah and her wonderful husband Chris to help me with the kids (as if their four aren't enough work). Hannah, my blessing, was sitting in the ER parking lot waiting for us when we arrived. She took all three of my children so Jeff could be with me.

Now I'll CUT this long story short. Since it was a clean cut?? they gave me a tetanus shot, put some special wrap around my finger, another few layers of gauze, and told me to be a happy little gimp.

So today was interesting; I can't change diapers or get my finger wet...okay, that limits me to doing nothing. Any pressure on my arm, kills my finger. So my left thumb is in pain and my right arm feels like someone punched me from the tetanus shot. Thank you Vicky and Mom for doing everything for me. I think I should fake the pain next week, because I received so many compliments on the hairstyle Mom gave today. Maybe she should be a beautician...

Please pray for me for a speedy healing. I need my finger to function...oh my gosh, I'm dysfunctional!

2 comments:

The Smiths said...

You poor thing! I can't even believe you thought to call and cancel Elijah's playdate with Jakey. I will be praying for you.

Diana and Gregg said...

Wow Jenny! I'm sorry that happened! I hope you have a speedy recovery, and the french braids look fantastic!