I have been wanting to teach my children the joy of giving and serving. It feels a little challenging with having three very young children though. So this morning I decided we were going to bake cookies. I started to get excited. We would make cookies and serve them to our neighbors...no better yet, we would take them to the convalescent home down the street! Cool!
I told the children what our mission was for the day. We talked about how God loves to see us serving one another, be kind to others, all that good stuff a child should know ;) We were ready to get started baking, when I realized I didn't have chocolate chips on hand. So I figured I would make oatmeal cookies instead...only one problem, we were out of oatmeal and didn't have enough raisins anyway. I was so bummed. My plans were getting ruined fast. Sure I could have gone to the store but I was still in my jammies (yes, at 10!). Then I thought, snickerdoodles, I have the ingredients for those little yummies. So I popped out my computer, found a great recipe, wrote it all down, then realized I'm out of butter..no joke. Well being the nifty baker that I am, I figured I could substitute coconut oil for butter, and with the whip of a whisk, voila! My little angels whipped up some yummy snickerdoodles to share with new friends.
While our delicious cookies cooled on the rack we all went upstairs and dressed our very best. Sissy and I wore dresses (I know, she's always in a dress) and the boys wore button up shirt with collars, and I did their hair extra nice. Then we came downstairs where I debriefed them on what they should expect and how to politely respond. We practiced making eye contact, telling our ages instead throwing up 3 or 5 fingers, and we even practiced giving gentle hugs. My pretty prepped pals were ready for service.
When we arrived at the home, which happens to be where our neighbor works, he and his son Max (age 7) were both there. His little boy, very sweet, knows the home and is there regularly to visit and play his violin for his elderly audience. They were both pleased to see us and Max was dismissed early from his concert to escort us around and share cookies.
We were there for well over an hour. I figured it would go okay, but honestly expecting a little preschool drama at some point. Thankfully and so proudly, my little ones were so wonderful. They both were calm, gentle, loving, you name it, they were amazing. Jakey and Sienna took turns offering snickerdoodles, they accepted and gave gentle hugs. My heart leaped a hundred times that hour. What an amazing opportunity to serve and be blessed.
Before we left, Max took us outside to the courtyard. Max and his friends had thrown some rocks in the fountain out there. So the kids decided, on their own, that they would take all of those rocks out of the fountain and put them back where they belong.
The kids were happy as we left. I asked them how they felt and Jakey quickly responded "Good!" Sienna said "It was fun."
So Day Two went well. Tomorrow we're going to grandma and grandpa's house. They'll get to play with toys, great for them. I think I'll leave ours in that room still. I'm enjoying watching these kids without them. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Now it's your turn to serve. Have fun!
http://www.recipezaar.com/Soft-Snickerdoodle-Cookies-97496
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Snickerdoodles Anyone?-Day Two!
Posted by Jen Williams at 8:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Jen you are so awesome!! Your heart for your kids and teaching them about the Lord is so beautiful!! I know we talk about how to be better moms to change things to tweak this or that, but what you gave your kids today is a lesson that needed no words and will last with them a life time! I love you and Im so proud to be a mom with you by my side!
Your friend :)
Post a Comment